Application forms and resumes from job applicants carry plenty of information on the candidates. They are the documents employers rely on to find more about who the applicant is and whether they are suitable for the job opening that is available in the company. Usually, the resume will have referees given by the applicant in relation to the schools they have attended and previous jobs. The references are used by the potential employers to verify information and even find out more about the candidates.
The truth is that the resumes and application forms won’t reveal everything about the candidates, but through the references, you can find out additional info apart from verifying what you already have. When conducting job interviews, ask for the consent of the applicant to contact the references given to gather additional information or make verifications. You can then go ahead doing your reference check and here are tips that can help you enjoy a pleasant experience all through.
- Start with the reference checks early. This should actually be early enough before you make a decision on the candidates. The sooner the better since you will be in a position to give all candidates equal chances of consideration before a final decision is reached. Early checks will save you from fast, quick last minute checks that won’t help you much.
- Always identify yourself, the organization and your title when you call up the references and then let them know the reasons why you are calling. If they reckon it is a good time to talk, you can go ahead with the check or schedule to call later if they are busy.
- Let your references understand that the information they give on the candidate will be held confidential. This will ensure that they feel comfortable enough to disclose all details you need on the applicant honestly.
- Give the references enough time to respond to the questions you pose to them without cutting them off or filling out sentence on their behalf. The more you can find out about the candidate the better it will be for you. Ask questions related to the candidate’s performance, strengths, weaknesses, team spirit, success in fulfilling duties, job responsibilities, salary, employment capacity, and relation with other employees and reasons for leaving employment in the company in the organization. You can also give the references time to make additional comments on the applicant.
- Take down notes as per the response you get on each candidate. You will find it easier to go through all information when you take notes on the individual resumes or application forms to make evaluations swift later.
- Ask for more references from the references you are already contacting if you feel a need to extend the check on that given individual.
- Hire the services of private investigators. They offer background checks or investigations and they can physically visit the references or conduct telephone interviews on your behalf to get you all information you need within a short period of time.
Reference checks are important to make employers today in verifying applicant information and also getting to know the kind of a person they are about to hire. Private investigators can successfully help in such checks too.
Indonesia Private Investigation Agency (IPIA) along with our sister agency Bali Eye Private Investigation Agency (BEPIA) are fully registered Private Investigation Agencies offering private detective and private investigator services to the Private and Business sectors throughout Indonesia and South East Asia.
Our two agencies both conduct business due diligence assessments in Indonesia. However, we can also recommend Business Due Diligence Indonesia (BDDI). BDDI specialise purely on business due diligence and pre-employment screening, and with an extensive network of political, financial and business experts, and over ten years specialised focus, they are perhaps the leading experts in their field.