Is Your Child Using Drugs ?
Many parents are caught unaware when they are told that their kids are using drugs. However, if you are an observant parent, you should be able to detect the slightest changes in your child that might be indicative of the fact that your child is on drugs.
It is however important to remember that teenage hormonal changes can also bring about such changes. You therefore need to be investigative before attacking the child for substance use.
Marijuana is increasingly a readily available and affordable drug for many teenagers. Some of the children might also get access to alcohol and heavier drugs such as heroin.
The Signs and Symptoms
When your child is abusing alcohol or drugs such as marijuana and heroin, there are signals that will tell you early something is amiss. By evaluating the symptoms and signs of drug abuse, you should be in a position to tell if there are any risks.
- Missing money around the house or from your wallet or you might have noticed that the child is constantly asking for money. When an addiction is setting in, they will do anything to find money to go buy what they need.
- Excessive use of mouthwash or mint to cover up the smell of drugs or alcohol is another sign. You might also notice that the child has a sudden craving for sweets indicating typical drug use swings.
- To hide dilated pupils and bloodshot eyes, most children will be using eye drops more frequently. They might also start sporting sunglasses in an effort to hide these symptoms. The dilated pupils and red eyes are usual effects of marijuana use. Some will start pulling their head caps lower to hide their eyes.
- Change in behavior is another sign that something could be wrong. Some will change their appearance, most probably to fit into the groups they are in. Some of the children will also tend to be ruder and more rebellious than usual. They might also require that you pay them before they can help with any chores around the house.
- Dropping school grades can also indicate that something is not right. This is usually because they don’t concentrate in class or they are too occupied with other things they find more interesting.
- Altered sleeping and eating habits are also very common in children abusing drugs. You might notice that they are sleeping more as a result of depressant drug use and have a reduced appetite. Some of them might end up with decreased sleep as a result of the stimulants they are under.
- You might notice that your child’s bedroom is off limits strictly because they do not want you to find out what they are doing. They will also use sweet fragrances and perfumes to hide the smell of drugs and alcohol. Some will go for other materials that can evoke the high feeling. You therefore might find in their possession hairsprays, nail polish remover, nail polish and computer cleanser among other inhalants.
Indonesia Private Investigation Agency (IPIA) and our sister agency Bali Eye Private Investigation Agency (BEPIA) are fully registered Private Investigation Agencies offering private detective and private investigator services to the Private and Business sectors throughout Indonesia and South East Asia.